Anti-aging has become something of an obsession in America, which is why people keep investing millions of dollars into various creams and moisturizers. What if that isn’t the solution, though? New research has shown that your diet may be your best chance of slowing the biological clock.
What Does the Science Say?
According to the research of the American Academy of Dermatology, there is a significant link between eating certain foods and slowing the aging process.
By eating foods that are high in antioxidants and good fats, and avoiding those filled with carbohydrates and excessive sugar, anyone can slow down their body’s aging process.
This is great news for those that have found themselves unsatisfied with beauty regimens, because the answer to anti-aging may very well be in your pantry. But what foods can contribute to this noble effort?
The Best Foods
Below is a list of the various anti-aging compounds in foods, where they can be found and how to incorporate them into your everyday diet.
- Vitamin C can be found in red and green peppers, cauliflower, and a vast majority of fruits. Consider adding peppers to your salad for a refreshing burst of vitamin C.
- Vitamin E has long been used in beauty treatments, and can be found in olive and corn oils, as well as peanut butter. Use olive oil as a cooking oil to get vitamin E into nearly any meal.
- Lycopene can be found in tomatoes, papaya and pink grapefruits. A simple solution is to snack on a pink grapefruit in the morning.
- Beta carotene is not only good for the eyes, but great for anti-aging purposes. It can be found in carrots, and is partially what makes kale so popular as a super food. Consider adding kale or spinach to your daily salad to be sure you’re getting enough beta carotene.
- Linoleic acid can be found in various beans like soybean/canola oils or almonds. Make a snack of various nuts like almonds and walnuts for extra protein and linoleic acid.
- Cocoa flavanols are found in dark chocolate and cocoa powder; which means there is a healthy reason to eat chocolate. Consider adding a spoonful of cocoa powder to your yogurt for a sweet flavoring that will keep you looking youthful.
- Whole grains are one of the most well-known anti-aging ingredients to come by, and can be found in bread, brown rice and popcorn. For a delicious snack, cook some popcorn in canola oil. This will hit two birds with one delicious stone.
If you’re investing hundreds of dollars into an anti-aging beauty regimen, then don’t miss out by failing to supply your body with the vitamins that it needs. All of the moisturizer in the world won’t help if your body simply isn’t getting the anti-aging ingredients in its daily diet.